Tuesday 29 October 2013

Stanchart Marathon, A leap of faith…


I have been having a chain of disappointing performances after Ndakaini.  During trainings, I kept running out of air during my runs especially between the 17th and the 19th kilometer. 

During our group run, I couldn’t even complete the Upper Hill climb. I took a walk twice…twice! I also walked on several other instances during the group run. I couldn’t even complete my run.
We travelled to shaggs with Jack to put up mom’s house in October. I carried along my training gear and never at any instance did I think of going for a full check up.
I struggled during the runs most of the time coming short of 21k by some 2 or 3 kilometers. I kept faith knowing that whatever it is will soon clear. I tried antibiotics (augmentin) and got some false hope that I was well. Doused down cough syrup and other medication but every time I still fell short of my target.
Upon our travel back to Nairobi, I was hit by a bout of flu combined with fever, headache and painful joints. I couldn’t manage to go to work. I decided to check in to Mater Hospital for a full blood work and scan. The results – pneumonia, bacterial infection, malaria and flu. I turned down the doc's call for admission and instead took drugs home. The next day I was back in hospital for I.V.’s and all and in a worse situation than the previous day. I checked out of hospital on Wednesday and began taking the prescribed dosage – 3 days to the marathon!
Feeling better on Friday – just a day to Stanchart but still pretty weak. Ignore my health status and decide to go for it with my focus on sub 90 mins whatever happens…Ive sacrificed a lot for this day, i just wouldn't let it slip while I sit back in a daze. I told myself there will be a day I will not be able to run but today will not be that day.
The start of the run was very much okay and actually do my fastest 5k and for an instance I felt I could actually pull it off. I had a good tempo all the way to 10km with Jack passing me on the 8th km mark when my vitals became unsteady. Then my system began to shut down – I had to take breaks during the run so as to inhale properly, I was running out of air - suffocating. I felt like quitting far too many times but every time I am about to stop I quickly notice that I am actually running faster than several other runners and decided to just hang on.
The route was the best but I just didn’t have the energy – I ran angry all the way maybe that’s the only reason why I was able to complete the run. Anger is good, it gives u a burning desire. I felt everything was just slow for me and I felt I could’ve ran a sub 90mins easily on this terrain…I am yet to figure out why I had such a strong conviction. I actually need to put it to the test once I am through with medication.
In short, my 2013 plans and targets were thwarted. I completed the run in 1:36 feeling like the slowest runner ever!



I was beaten but not disgraced. I bowed out feeling leprous…unloved and went straight home – no pleasantries, no nothing and walked to town, alone. I will have to wait until I get well and just get back to where I should’ve been, set new goals and chase them down and that’s exactly where it will all begin, again!
Kms
Time
Avg Pace
1
4:01
4'01"/km
2
8:01
4'00"/km
3
12:01
4'00"/km
4
16:18
4'17"/km
5
20:41
4'23"/km
6
25:04
4'23"/km
7
29:31
4'27"/km
8
33:59
4'28"/km
9
38:25
4'26"/km
10
43:22
4'57"/km – system shut down begins
11
47:30
4'08"/km
12
52:05
4'35"/km
13
57:12
5'07"/km  - run & walk
14
1:01:41
4'29"/km
15
1:06:01
4'20"/km
16
1:10:48
4'47"/km
17
1:16:16
5'28"/km  - run & walk
18
1:21:04
4'48"/km
19
1:25:31
4'27"/km
20
1:30:35
5'04"/km  - run & walk
21
1:35:47
5'12"/km  - run  & walk

I suffered so much on my way back home in the bus  - sweating and heavy breathing, I felt like dying. Its because of pain - that is why I love to run!

3 comments:

Running Writer said...

Pole sana. The strongest iron goes thro da hottest fire! you survived one of the worst races. After this nightmare, every other run will be fun in comparison. Thats the upside - coz it doesnt get worse than that. And appreciate that time you managed. Many healthy people couldn't run that fast if they tried. Remember the guy who insisted that 1:36 is good? - he was so pumped up he had done something close and he could not stand someone trashing his time. Going forward, take anything messing ur running more seriously. Get paranoid about your health. Congrats and lets take another aim - this time sub 1:25 - the year has ended without us doing 15K/Hr - that alone is bad. But first, get well then 14Km/hr. U really did start fast though. I improved by about 3 mins from my fastest practice run. We will test ur theory next year about how faster u can run on race day vis a vis training speed.

Unknown said...

Its been a year of misses but we can turn that around - lets have more group runs, long distance ones if we r to debut 42k at Mwea. Lets do it in a way that will encourage us and not demoralize us. I was sure I could maintain my speed for the first 5k for the entire distance...that's how I intend to run a 21k before the year ends. 14kms/hr in 28k should be bagged within the first two months of next year.

Running Writer said...

Thats some gutsy goal but achievable. Lets work!